Friday, January 23, 2009

Discharging Filter Caps - The Basics Pt 1


Here are the basic reasons and methods for discharging filter caps. The meter is a little tough to read here but I think it's clear enough to get the basic idea. This is just for illustrational purposes, it's NOT the the method I recommend. I'll cover that in part 2.

THE UBIQUITOUS DISCLAIMER: AKAVALVE ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE SAFETY OF ANYONE IMPLEMENTING THESE INSTRUCTIONS. IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH SAFE PRACTICE IN HIGH VOLTAGE CIRCUITS, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF.




2 comments:

Casey Campbell said...

could you discharge filter caps safely with a wiggy?

akavalve said...

That's a cool idea. I don't have one myself but I don't see any reason why you couldn't. You'd just want to make sure your wiggy read low enough voltage to make sure the caps were dischaged all the way (or check them with another meter once you've discharged them).